Accessibility For Small Businesses
Increasing accessibility improves employee productivity, retention and company morale.
Among business owners who reported making accommodations for employees with disabilities:
- 86% said this helped retain qualified employees.
- 59% said this increased company productivity.
- 61% said this increased company morale.
- 24% reported increased profitability.
Ensuring inclusivity and accessibility can expand the business market:
- Americans with a disability have a disposable income of $490 million.
- 71% of users with a disability will simply have to leave a website that is not accessible.
- 79% of companies found inclusive software improved usability and customer experience.
Designing for accessibility drives innovation, and improves general usability:
- Android’s screen-contrast design helps everyone, regardless of visual ability, see their smartphone screen in the sun.
- Closed captioning, originally created for people who were deaf or hard of hearing, is now a standard practice.
Most employers report no or low cost for accommodating employees with disabilities:
- 49% of employers report no cost for accommodating employees with disabilities.
- 43% of employers report a one-time cost.
- Only 8% of employers report an annual, or a combo annual and one-time cost.
Infographic designed by Easel.ly.